About The Center for Victims of Torture (CVT) :
The Center for Victims of Torture (CVT) is headquartered in St. Paul, Minnesota, USA and is a humanitarian non-governmental organization that provides mental health rehabilitation to refugees around the world. In Uganda, CVT provides mental health rehabilitation services to survivors of LRA-inflicted torture and violent trauma; provides on-site mental health clinical mentoring and supervision to counselors in partner NGOs; and works to build a network of mental health service providers in northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer is responsible for the entry, analysis, and reporting of confidential clinical data. The incumbent will implement and maintain data collection systems, monitor the integrity of collected data, and provide oversight for the data collection process generally; contribute to reports for a variety of internal and external audiences; and consult with and support program and clinical staff about client progress, program evaluation, and data-related issues. The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will report to the Field Representative while also working closely with the Research Department based at Headquarters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enter, clean, and maintain electronic records of clinical activities and client outcomes.
- Process completed assessment forms (submitted by clinical staff); enter the data into a database/datasets; verify that data is correctly entered; detect and resolve data integrity issues.
- Create documentation of computer file folders and location of database/dataset files.
- Store original (blank), master, and analysis files in separate computer folders.
- Name and organize data files and folders according to the documented convention.
- Back-up data files after each wave of data entry.
- Safeguard the confidentiality of client data.
- Ensure the secure storage of electronic client data (as well as paper forms while in possession).
- Analyze and interpret results using SPSS, SurveyGizmo, Microsoft Excel, or other programs.
- Calculate frequencies, descriptive statistics, and generate figures/graphs (e.g., bar charts, pie charts).
- Keenly analyze client outcomes using crosstabs, t-tests, Cohen’s D, and other statistical techniques. Score client measures for aggregate reporting and analysis purposes.
- Devise and conduct additional analyses as needed to respond to requests to address substantive evaluation or clinical questions.
Collection of clinical data:
- Support clinical staff in collecting client data.
- Maintain original, blank, paper copies of the clinical assessment forms.
- Ensure that a supply of adequate paper forms is available as needed by clinical and counseling staff.
- Work in liaison with the clinical and counseling staff to ensure adequate procedures are in place to securely and reliably collect, enter, and store confidential client information, especially as forms are transferred to and from clinical and M&E staff for data entry.
- Regular monitor data and data collection processes to ensure adherence to data collection protocols, especially as it relates to clinical assessment measures.
- Identify problems with data collection, including patterns of missing data, internal reliability, problematic content of particular questions, and so on.
- Collaborate with clinical, counseling, research, and administrative staff to address data-related problems.
- Report deleterious or ongoing data-related issues to the Field Representative and CVT Research Department.
- Ensure that no changes are made to the clinical assessment forms without the approval of CVT Research Department.
- Contribute to regular reports concerning clinical and program data for both internal and external audiences.
- External audiences include quarterly and annual reports to funding agencies. Internal audiences include monthly reports to CVT Headquarters International Services staff, requests from CVT Research Department, or local ad hoc requests from clinical or administrative staff.
Consultation and communication:
- Consult with CVT staff (i.e., admin, clinical, research) concerning data management, data collection, data analysis, or evaluation topics as requested.
- Consult and/or collaborate on other reporting efforts involving data as requested.
- Maintain close communication with clinical staff and CVT Research Department.
- Actively participate in clinical meetings as possible. Gain familiarity with work with clients.
- Gather meaningful questions from clinical and administrative staff concerning our clients and our program. When possible, conduct analyses and present results from CVT data germane to addressing such questions.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in a social science discipline, data or computer science discipline, or other field, with substantial research and/or data analysis training component. Advanced degree or other certifications in social science, computer science, program evaluation, etc is desired
- A minimum of three years’ experience, including in program evaluation, research, or data management
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English and Luo, both written and spoken
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Strong administrative skills and high level of attention to detail
- Show commitment to the values of equality, non-discrimination, and human rights for all
- Ability to communicate in a highly professional manner with a variety of audiences
- Ability to work independently, maintaining high self-motivation and organization, and consistently meeting deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good team player, with excellent interpersonal skills, able to take direction, and work collaboratively with others
- Flexible and able to adapt to change
- Previous experience with statistical software, such as SPSS is desirable
- Previous experience with online surveys, such as SurveyGizmo
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send a cover letter, updated CV, and 3 professional references to UgandaAdmin@cvt.org, including the job title in the subject line of your email. Priority consideration will be given to applicants from northern Uganda.
Deadline: 28th February, 2017