About Cairo International Airport
Cairo International Airport history started in the forties of the last century when the American Bayn Field air-force base was established five kilometers far from Almaza Airport to serve the Alliance during the Second World War. The American forces left the base by the end of the war. In 1945, the Civil Aviation Authority took over the base and allocated it to the International Civil Aviation. The Airport was called "King Farouk 1st Airport". In the meantime, Almaza Airport was dedicated to the domestic flights. It is worth mentioning that the Air Traffic Movement during that period, particularly in 1946, was 200.000 passengers a year. The peak hour capacity of the Airport reached 200 passengers per hour. In 1955, some studies were done to build a new terminal with a higher capacity; the location of the new terminal was chosen between the two runways, east of Cairo. The works of construction started in 1957 and has been inaugurated on 18th of March 1963. In 1963, Cairo International Airport replaced the old Heliopolis Airport located at the Hike-Step area in the East of Cairo. It consisted of arrival and departure halls, a transit hall and two runways with a capacity of five million passengers a year. As air transport rates went up to 55 % in the seventies, a second hall was constructed in 1977-79 and a third added in 1980.
Exclusivity in service, safety & security.
Becoming both a passenger and Cargo Hub in the Middle East and African continent area.
Conforming to balanced policies and strategies for efficient management
Fully utilizing the airport and turning it to a shopping and entertainment city with the highest means of safety and security for our passengers and visitors.
[Compliances and Memberships/Affiliations]